Softball Opens Season at Bellarmine

Kentucky Wesleyan College’s Lady Panthers opened up their season at Bellarmine University on the weekend of February 11-12th. KWC started their busy season against the University of Findlay and Bellarmine University in Louisville, playing four games within two days. Starting off better than last year, the Lady Panthers grabbed 1 win and 3 losses in their first set of games.

The Lady Panthers had their first win of the season within reach against Findlay, but could not overcome the bats of Findlay in extra innings. Senior Casey Smith started the game on the mound, lasting a full five innings, and faced two batters in the sixth. Jessica Carmon, the other senior, came in for relief in the sixth inning, and pitched a full three innings, taking the loss. Freshman Jaylin Tidwell led the Panthers at the plate with three hits, while freshman Alexis Mullen followed closely behind with two. The Panthers lost 7-4 against the Oilers, with runs scored by Tidwell (2), freshman Maddie Dawson (1), and sophomore Mallory Nease (1).

Kentucky Wesleyan faced Bellarmine in their second game of the day and season. KWC fell 2-1 against the Bellarmine Knights. Sophomore Maci Brown pitched a complete game, striking out 4 batters. Alexis Mullen led the Panthers, hitting with two hits, with Tidwell, Tempel, and Daunhauer following closely behind with one. Junior Courtney Lockwood scored the only run for the Panthers.

The Lady Panthers opened up Sunday morning with a win against the Oilers, run-ruling them 11-2. Sophomore Autumn Grady picked up the win after throwing a complete game and striking out five. The Panthers were busy at the plate, as every batter obtained at least one hit. Courtney Lockwood had three hits, while Mullen, Daunhauer, and Nease had two. Mullen hit her first homerun on the season, while Jaclyn Parker was hit by two pitches, to move her up to number two spot on all-time hit by pitches. Runs were scored by Dawson (2), Tidwell (2), Mullen (1), Lockwood (3), Slack (1), and Parker (2).

The final game of the weekend ended in a loss for the Panthers against Bellarmine. Senior Casey Smith started and took the loss against the Knights, throwing only two innings. Carmon came in relief for Smith and threw four innings for the Panthers. Alexis Mullen led the Panthers at the plate with three hits, followed closely by Tidwell, with two. The Panthers lost 7-4.

The Lady Panthers continue their season on February 18th and 19th in Hendersonville, Tennessee. They will face McKendree and Ohio Dominican on Saturday at 2 and 4 p.m. CT. Sunday they will play Truman State and Lindenwood, at 12 and 2 p.m. CT.