“Night to Shine” Event Comes to Owensboro

We have all had certain occasions in our lives where we shined in some way. Whether it be in school, a sport, a hobby, or club, there is always something that had or has made you feel like your special. “Night to Shine” is an event that does that for some pretty spectacular people. This event is put on by Tim Tebow and his Foundation. Churches from near and far will be hosting this event “Night to Shine” on February 10. But some of you may still ask, what is “Night to Shine”? Well, Night to Shine is a night where thousands of people are honored and celebrated. It is truly an unforgettable prom night, sponsored by Tebow and his Foundation to focus on God’s love for people 16 years old or older with special needs. It’s for these honored guests to have their “Night to Shine” and be treated like the kings and queens they truly are. On this incredible night Tim Tebow will be picking one of his lucky “Night to Shine” locations all over the world to go to.

This will be the third annual “Night to Shine” that Tebow and his Foundation have put on, it has shown, and continues to show, many successes all over the world. Our own city, Owensboro, will be hosting their “Night to Shine” event. It will be held at the Convention Center downtown by Life Community Church. I myself will be volunteering at this “Night to Shine” in Owensboro, as well as several of my teammates. Volunteers from churches and the community will all be coming together for this night to truly make it spectacular for the honored guests. Over 200 churches across the nation and over 8 different countries will be hosting the event. So God’s love will be shared by nearly 30,000 guests nationwide this Valentine’s Day weekend.

During this night around the world there will be several different things happening, such as events and royal treatment to make the “Night to Shine” event one to remember for the honored guests. As soon as the honored guests arrive, they will be treated like royalty, from walking on the red carpet, to riding in a limo, to getting their pictures taken by the paparazzi, and even hair, makeup, and shoe shine stations will be provided.

Then the honored guests will be paired up with a “buddy,” this is where my teammates and I come in. Our job is to make sure our “buddy” has a night to remember! Which won’t be too hard with all of the fun activities planned for the night, such as dancing and karaoke. The Foundation hopes with fun activities like these, the honored guests will feel empowered and to just be themselves and have fun. At the end of the night, there is the annual King and Queen crowning. Each of the honored guests will receive a crown to show that each of them is loved and valued each and every day by God.

The “Night to Shine” event is truly such a heart-warming and amazing experience and I’m glad I get to be a part of it. Tebow has said his inspiration for this event all started when he was just 15 years old.

“I was at a school in a remote village in the Philippines and there was a boy who was shunned out of the event because his feet were on backwards,” said Tebow, “What we want to do is fight for the people who can’t fight for themselves. That’s what it’s all about.”

That truly is what it is all about, showing people that they are loved no matter who they are, where they come from, what they look like, everyone is loved the same and will always be by our Lord and Savior. The world needs more people like Tebow, who is making a huge difference in thousands of people’s lives. If this sounds like something you may be interested in, sign up! It is honestly going to be a “Night to Shine” and you’re not going to want to miss out.