Thanksgiving Memories

Wilson Buckner, Features Editor

When America’s favorite holiday of Thanksgiving comes to mind, I think of how my Mom spends days, maybe weeks, preparing for the feast. I always gorge on sweet potato pie while everyone else grazes for days on the leftovers. But the holiday is more than just the food. It’s the time of year that should be spent with family and friends. The whole purpose of the holiday is to be thankful for our family, friends, and all the blessings that come with living in this great country.

Most families in the U.S. celebrate with the traditional turkey, stuffing, gravy, some kind of green vegetable, that weird cranberry goop, and all kinds of pies and cakes. After destroying the meal in ten minutes or less, everyone races for the best seats in front of the television to watch hours and hours of football games. I remember my grandmother telling me that there used to be a tradition of Thanksgiving Day football games between Owensboro High School and Henderson County High. That must have been before the great American invention of television and the chance to watch the pros show the world how the game should be played.

I just realized that I have no idea how all the dinner stuff is cleaned up. There must be a Thanksgiving cleaning fairy, too. Is that another great American invention too?

Another tradition I love is making Hot Browns with the left over turkey. My mom globs on the cheese sauce over the turkey and toast, sprinkles it with cheddar cheese, slaps on a couple slices of bacon and a slice of tomato. She then puts it under the broiler to bubble and brown and we’re gorging again.

I grew up In Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, and we invented our own great family Thanksgiving tradition, Black Friday Shopping at the Outlets. It sounds crazy but it was always a blast. We’d hop in our car and drive to the Outlets in anticipation of all kinds of unnecessary things we might be able to grab at ridiculous prices. It actually doesn’t sound like much fun. We’d be up by 4 a.m., have to scout around for a parking spot and then wiggle our way to the front of our favorite store. We’d always run into friends and neighbors and laugh at the ridiculousness of being there. And honestly, we’d never really find that many deals but I guess it was being with family and friends that make it such a fun memory. Of course, we’d head home to eat some more, watch more football, sleep, and eat some more.

As I write this article, I’m packing to fly home for the holiday. I’m anxious and excited at the same time. I can’t wait to do what I always do but I also realize that I’m thankful that I have the opportunity to spend time with the ones I love the most. I also realize that we all have so much to be thankful for, including our great country and all of the freedoms we are able to enjoy. Our country’s military have, and are. keeping us safe, to gorge and nap and shop and enjoy the time we are able to spend with our family, friends, and neighbors. Here’s to wishing everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving and wishing that your favorite teams end up with the win! And if you see the Thanksgiving Day cleaning fairy, snap a pic and post it to SnapChat!